The LESLIE SUTHERLAND BRANCH #447, OF THE ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION, Corunna,
Ontario was so named in memory of Leslie G. Sutherland, who was the first known
"KILLED IN ACTION" Serviceman from Moore Township during World War II.
Leslie G. Sutherland
Born: Nov. 26, 1918
Enlisted: Mar. 13, 1941
RCAF London, Ontario
Killed in Action: May. 24, 1943
Branch #447 received its Charter on December 4, 1946.
First meetings were held in the Anglican Church Hall.
The original Beresford location was originally Crown Land.
Footings for the Beresford location were poured in 1947.
The building was completed in 1948.
The first Branch President was Arthur
Branch #447 moved to its present location at 350 Albert St., Corunna following
completion of the new building construction in 1987. The official opening of
the new building took place on April 30, 1988.
Branch #447 celebrated their 50th Aniversary on December 4, 1996. A special
Remembrance Day/Honours & Awards Dinner was held on November 9, 1996 to
commemorate the event.
The Members of Branch #447, Corunna, have a very proud history of service to our
Veterans, their dependants, and the community in which we live, and will
continue to do so into the future.